Welcome to Eastern Uganda, an often-overlooked region that offers a wealth of natural and cultural wonders.
From the adrenaline-pumping activities in Jinja to the tranquil beauty of Sipi Falls and the majestic Mount Elgon, Eastern Uganda has something for everyone.
The region is also known for producing some of the world’s top long-distance runners, with the training grounds for Olympic medalists nearby.
Let’s dive into what you need to know about safari tours in Eastern Uganda, including the best places to visit, the most thrilling activities, and the cultural experiences that await.
Must Visit Places in Eastern Uganda
The less-explored Eastern Uganda has some of Uganda’s most compelling natural resources, including:
- Mount Elgon National Park: This park is located on the border between Uganda and Kenya and is home to the towering Mount Elgon, an extinct volcano. Visitors can hike to the summit, explore the caves, and observe a variety of wildlife, including monkeys, hyenas, and over 300 species of birds.
- Jinja: While not a national park, Jinja is a popular destination for adventure activities and is often called the adventure capital of East Africa. Visitors can enjoy white-water rafting, kayaking, bungee jumping, and more.
Best Things To Do in Eastern Uganda
Here are five of the best things to do on a Uganda safari tour to Eastern Uganda:
- White Water Rafting in Jinja: Jinja is known as the adventure capital of East Africa, and for good reason. A trip to Jinja is incomplete without a white water rafting experience on the Nile River.
- Hiking and Coffee Tasting at Sipi Falls: Sipi Falls is a beautiful waterfall located in the foothills of Mount Elgon. Visitors can take a guided hike to the top of the falls, and also enjoy a coffee plantation tour and tasting.
- Cultural Experiences: Eastern Uganda is home to several ethnic groups with unique cultures, such as the Bagisu people who are known for their male circumcision ceremony. Visitors can experience local traditions and customs by visiting cultural villages and attending cultural events.
- Nature Walks and Wildlife Viewing in Mount Elgon National Park: Mount Elgon National Park offers several beautiful hiking trails through stunning landscapes. Visitors can also observe a variety of wildlife, including primates, antelopes, and over 300 species of birds.
- Exploring Jinja Town: Jinja is a lively town with a bustling market, historic buildings, and several cultural attractions. Visitors can explore the town on foot or by bicycle, and take in the vibrant local atmosphere.
These are just a few examples of the many amazing experiences that await visitors on a Uganda safari tour to Eastern Uganda.
Learn About Uganda’s Other Regions
Curious to learn more about traveling to Uganda’s other regions? We put together similar guides for the rest of the regions. See each of the articles below:
Create Your Own Uganda Safari Tour in Eastern Uganda
If you’re looking for a truly unforgettable Uganda safari tour, Eastern Uganda is a must-visit destination. With its stunning natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and thrilling adventure activities, there’s something for everyone in this region.
At Kikooko Africa Safaris, we specialize in creating custom itineraries that cater to your specific interests and preferences. Whether you’re a wildlife enthusiast, adventure seeker, or culture lover, we can help you plan the trip of a lifetime.
Contact us today to start planning your Uganda safari tour to Eastern Uganda!