If you’ve just landed in Uganda, you have been welcomed to Central Uganda! Though many travelers think of Western Uganda as the main place to go, the Central Region should definitely be on your list of destinations to explore.
This region is home to some of Uganda’s most popular and bustling cities, including Entebbe and Kampala, as well as some of the country’s most impressive wildlife conservation efforts, such as the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary.
In this blog, we will take you on a journey through Central Uganda and highlight some of the top tourist destinations. We will provide you with insider information and tips to help you make the most of your safari tour experience in Uganda, including where to stay, what to see, and what to expect.
Whether you are a first-time visitor to Uganda or a seasoned traveler, our blog will provide you with all the information you need to decide whether a Uganda safari tour in the Central Region is the right choice for you.
Parks and Monuments in Central Uganda
Here are just a few of the interesting sites and places you’ll find while you’re enjoying Central Uganda.
- Kasubi Tombs: Located in Kampala, the Kasubi Tombs are a UNESCO World Heritage Site that serves as the burial grounds for the Kings of Buganda. This site is an important cultural landmark in Uganda and is a must-visit destination for those interested in learning more about Uganda’s history and culture.
- Ssese Islands: A group of 84 islands located on Lake Victoria, the Ssese Islands are a popular destination for those looking to relax and unwind. Visitors can enjoy beach activities, fishing, and nature walks on the islands.
- Uganda Martyrs Shrine: Located in Namugongo, just outside Kampala, the Uganda Martyrs Shrine is a Catholic pilgrimage site that commemorates the 22 Ugandan Christians who were martyred for their faith in the late 19th century. The shrine is a popular destination for visitors who want to learn more about Uganda’s religious history and culture.
Each of these destinations offers a unique and unforgettable experience for visitors to Uganda.
Best Things To Do in Central Uganda
Here are some of the best things to do in Central Uganda:
- Visit the Uganda Museum: Located in Kampala, the Uganda Museum is the oldest and largest museum in the country. It houses a collection of ethnographic, natural history, and musical instruments exhibits, providing a glimpse into Uganda’s rich cultural heritage.
- Tour the Kasubi Tombs: The Kasubi Tombs, located in Kampala, are a UNESCO World Heritage Site and serve as the burial grounds for the Kings of Buganda. The site is an important cultural landmark in Uganda and offers visitors the opportunity to learn more about the country’s history and traditions.
- Explore Kampala: Uganda’s capital city, Kampala, is a bustling metropolis that offers a range of cultural and entertainment activities. Visitors can explore the city’s many markets, museums, and historical landmarks, as well as enjoy its lively nightlife scene.
- Visit the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary: The Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary is a wildlife conservation area located in Nakasongola, Central Uganda. It is the only place in Uganda where visitors can see rhinoceroses in their natural habitat. Visitors can enjoy guided walks and bird-watching tours in the sanctuary.
- Go birdwatching in Mabamba Swamp: Located on the shores of Lake Victoria, Mabamba Swamp is a wetland area that offers some of the best birdwatching opportunities in Uganda. Visitors can spot a range of bird species, including the rare shoebill stork.
- Relax on the Ssese Islands: A group of 84 islands located on Lake Victoria, the Ssese Islands offer visitors the opportunity to relax and unwind. Visitors can enjoy beach activities, fishing, and nature walks on the islands.
These are just a few of the many activities and attractions that Central Uganda has to offer. Whether you’re interested in culture, history, nature, or simply relaxing, there is something for everyone in this vibrant region of Uganda.
Learn About Uganda’s Other Regions
Curious to learn more about traveling to Uganda’s other regions? We put together similar guides for the rest of the regions. See each of the articles below:
Create Your Own Uganda Safari Tour in Uganda’s Central Region
Central Uganda is a vibrant and diverse region with plenty to offer visitors.
From exploring the country’s rich cultural heritage at the Kasubi Tombs and Uganda Museum to spotting rhinoceroses in their natural habitat at the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary, there is no shortage of activities and attractions to enjoy in Central Uganda.
If you’re planning a Uganda safari tour, consider exploring Central Uganda with Kikooko Africa Safaris. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable guides can help you create a completely customizable itinerary that suits your interests and preferences, ensuring that you have the trip of a lifetime.
Contact us today to start planning your dream Uganda safari tour!